Tuniac 130706

The Tuniac forum.
Brett
Site Admin

Re: Tuniac 130706

Post by Brett »

Tuniac needs:

For VC Redist you need x86 for Windows 32bit, x32 + x64 for Windows 64bit. You need both on Windows 64bit as MMShellHook plugin is the opposite architect to your installed Tuniac. Eg 32bit Tuniac will have 64bit MMShellHookHelper

Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... x?id=30679

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... px?id=5555
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... x?id=14632

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... aspx?id=35
OR
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... px?id=8109

The Tuniac installer only grabs the bare minimums required from tuniac.org. The download is significantly smaller than what is linked above.
smaragdus

Post by smaragdus »

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It seems that Tuniac reads all audio formats with the exception of the long ago abandoned Lossless Audio (LA) - http://www.lossless-audio.com/, which is supported only by Winamp, and Cue Sheets. As far as I know Cue Sheets are supported by BASS, doesn't this mean that adding support for CUEs won't be so hard to be implemented?

I have all Visual C++ Redistributable versions plus the latest DirectX installed on my system. Does that mean that I don't need the components Tuniac downloads?

Regards
Brett
Site Admin

Post by Brett »

Tuniac installer should intelligently work out if you need extra things and only download them if they are needed.
One other users says the VC Runtimes download EVERYTIME the installer runs, I have never worked out what its problem is on that machine.

Does Tuniac continue to download extra things during the installer now?

LA I have no interest in supporting, even SHN is on the verge of being removed :).

I dont believe BASS directly supports CUE sheets as it is an audio engine/decoder, CUE is more about playlist management which BASS does not do.
There is various extensions available for BASS in regards to cue, but I am not sure what they really do.
Tuniac uses less of BASS than most players that use it do, Tuniac only uses it for decoding the audio to float PCM data.
The correctly displaying and interacting with skip buttons etc etc would all be logic within Tuniacs playlist manager, BASS would only get told to decode a certain file from a certain point.

Reading cue files is not that hard but would take time.
Displaying the split up files in the playlist manager would be awkward. I would think you would end up with 2 new db fields for start/stop time for tracks.
The playlist manager would need some code to allow the multiple entries for the same file.
The playlist logic would need a bit of work to understand the new start/stop fields.

Its not a huge work, but it is work. Plus it adds a bit more complexity to everything, which I hate doing for things I dont even care about :p
I dont agree with single files and cue sheets, the files should be split and played back with gapless playback(something else Tuniac doesnt do, but it does have an extremely low latency playback.)
Because I do not agree with the concept I do not use it and have no desire to support it.
smaragdus

Post by smaragdus »

Yes, Tuniac still downloads files, perhaps my system lacks some of the components needed by Tuniac to run. I tried excluded version and it missed a DLL file. Have you thought of packing these components into an archive, a kind of 'Extras' for off-line installation?

The good about LA is the compression ratio, the bad- that it seems to be abandoned and that can be played only by Winamp and AIMP (using a Winamp plug-in). I have few LA files. LA looked very promising but unfortunately its development has come to a halt. In fact LA has a far better compression ratio than FLAC for example (at least in my tests). LA developer seems totally disinterested in any further development of the codec, LA plug-in for foobar2000 no longer works and it seems there will never be a new version.

Shorten is outdated and crappy yet it is still used by people who trade shows and other old stuff via torrents.

As far as I know BASS supports Cue files directly, at least the BASS-based XMPlay, created by BASS developer. In fact XMPlay does not treat the tracks within the Cue file as separate tracks but as sub-tracks. One can navigate back and forth right-clicking the next/previous buttons. But this is not very good for me because XMPlay does not show track info/duration of tracks, but only jumps back and forth. AIMP (which is also BASS-based) and foobar2000 view the tracks within a cue file as separate tracks. I never rip my CDs into a single lossless file plus a Cue sheet but I have downloaded many torrents which contain CDs ripped in this pattern and since I seed what I download and don't have enough space to split them into separate tracks in another location I rely on AIMP and foobar200 for these big files (CDxxx.flac and CDxxx.cue).

There is a nice little tool- Medieval CUE Splitter, that can flawlessly split files according to Cue info.

By the way are you the only developer of Tuniac right now?
Brett
Site Admin

Post by Brett »

Flac is not about super compression, it is simple to encode and decode making it suitable for low powered devices.

La had horrible compression times and nearly as bad decode requirements.
La died because it was to slow.

Yes I am the only one still working on tuniac.

As said tuniac uses less of bass than most players that use it. Bass supporting cue would not help at all, bass in tuniac has zero to do with playlist managment in tuniac.
Xmplay likely has its cue support within the player code, not bass lib.